Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: mild constant pain in right side chest

patient305 - Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi

For the past month now i have had a mild chest pain, it seems to be in the region of just right from my breat bone and behind, depending on my posture i seem to feel it mid back of just to the side of my front, it does not particulary feal like heartburn. Some of the time it seems to spread to give me a saw shoulder or side.

It began with somewhat of a drinking binge with afew smokes, it seemed like i got heartburn from the beer drunk. the heart burn seemed to last another day. i have had the pain ever since. i have been to the doctor who seemed to think it was a virul infection although i tested negative twice. An x-ray yelded no furthur results. i think i have a cough although so week i almost have to force it. this seems to bring up white sputum.

i am 18 and do not smoke although afew times on occasion, it seems that i may be somewhat short of breath, but i can not tell for surem bad life style perhaps?. Exercise seems to make it worse. When i eat it seemes to take the pain away somewhat. Also. when i drink a cold coke it seems to ease off aswell.

I was on a painkiller called mypiad forte which didnt seemed to do anything, if anything it made things worse, which makes me think it is not muscular.

Im not to sure what to do at this point and im not to sure my doctor does either.

Any advice on possiable causes, tests , medication etc would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:18 pm

User avatar Dear patient305,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest. According to your description it is more likely to be of GI origin.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises. Pain in the center of the chest can be due to esophageal causes like esophageal spasm and esophagitis or due to GERD.

People with GERD will experience one or more of these symptoms,
swallowing problems
Chest pain,
Pain in the throat,
Morning hoarseness, and
Discomfort in the chest
Dry Cough and Shortness of breath. These symptoms are mainly due to inflammation of the esophagus(esophagitis). Gastric troubles like gastritis give similar picture.

Other possible causes include:
Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discus with him this information . Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|