News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: PLEURISY?

fearless74 - Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:50 pm

[size=18]I also have a question, I had gotten streptoccocal pneumonia, and it infected my blood and both my lungs collapsed as a result, one lung completely and the other was half way collapsed. i was in ICU for a long time, my heart rate was 225 and they couldn't lower my blood pressure, I thought I was going to die..this was 2 years ago, but still now I suffer greatly with lung pain, and my old doctor said its just pleurisy..can it be after this long? i do have pain killers but seems this is so common, and the pain is intense at times. should I get a second opinion? or is this a common result in such a severe case? thank you Amy[/size]
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:54 pm

User avatar Dear fearless74,

It would be more helpful if you can describe more the pain you have (like its nature, exact site, what increase the pain etc,)

Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung.

The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases but can be a manifestation of other systemic disease like lupus.

The pain is felt like sharp pain on one side or less commonly in both sides, it increases with deep breath. The pain usually stops once you hold your breath and result in rapid, shallow breathing.
Recurrent attacks are possible in individuals at risk of recurrent chest infections (like smokers) or individuals with systemic diseases like lupus.

The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here