Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Does bornholm disease reoccur? does asthma make it worse?

immoline - Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:44 am

I had bornholm disease three months ago, I am 28 years old, female, and asthmatic.
Yesterday i got hit with this major pain, that radiated through my lungs from underneath as though someone was driving a double edged meat hook through the left lung. It made my eyes water and carried on through the night. I took an arthrotex tab to ease it and it dulled to a throb. Its still here today. i can work with it, although it is still pretty intense.
can borholm disease reoccur? I know that i need to go and see my doctor again. but i really don't want to unless I know that this is not just my asthma causing pain again.
I had an echocardiogram three months ago and all was well. the pain does make my arm go tingly sometimes, but there is nothing in the heart area this time, its kinda jutting out from the mid ribcage at the back and just under my left breast. My ribs are also extremely sensitive and I woke up last night in a sweat. advice please?
 Dr. J. Jennings - Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:50 am

Asthma doesnt cause that pain. bornholm disease is fairly rare. Other causes like a pneumothorax need to be ruled out. It is an acute infectious febrile disorder caused by a group B coxsackievirus and characterized by severe epigastric or thoracic pain. It can occur at any age but is most common in children. There is sudden onset of severe, frequently intermittent, often pleuritic pain in the epigastrium or lower anterior chest, with fever and often headache, sore throat, and malaise. The disease usually goes away in 2 to 4 days, but relapse may occur within a few days and symptoms may continue or recur for several weeks. Having this happen a few months later means you should go back and see your doctor.
 immoline - Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:58 am

thanks. I have been to my doctor on Friday, after the pain persisted for a couple of days. I mentioned it to him, and he started talking about panic attacks, which I'm sure Im not having. My stress levels have if anything quartered in the last four months, i am fairly calm, even when my asthma is bad. I even take my B vits regularly. I'm happy, and calm, so I'm not convinced that they are panic attacks. Theres a further complication though, and its taht my medication is being upped for the asthma again. I've moved from 2nd to third level. So heavier steroids, more management. I think thats got him distracted at the mo. My Lung function was a 320 after 4 shots of ventolin. supposed to be 5 or something. Pain is still there. will talk to him again when he takes me off the prednisone.
 Dr. J. Jennings - Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:05 pm

Well, a peak flow meter also measures your effort, and if you are in pain, that number can be low because of the pain. In order to see if your asthma is worse, you need a spirometry test NOT a peak flow meter!

|