Question: 21yr old, prolonged aching chest pain

crayonmonster - Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:35 pm

Hello! I'm a 21yr old, white female, works as a florist/artist. For about a year and a half I have had chest pain. I have never smoked/drank/ or done any drugs.

The pain is a dull ache/pressure on my chest (high/middle) that can be very subtle or really painful. It can last an hour or a couple of days. It makes me feel tired/achey all over sometimes. Sometimes it's so bad it will wake me up in the night. Alot of times I get it in the morning. And especially if I lie down on my front, then it pretty much always followers. I don't' kow if it effects my breathing, but soemtimes when it happens I feel like I can't breathe, I don't know if this is just because breathing makes it hurt/because it feels like a pressure pushing down on my chest/or if I really can't breathe well during those times.

I have spent six months goign to a heart speciallist who gave me antiinflammatories thinking it was periocarditis. We eventually ruled out most heart problems. Now I'm going to a doctor here in victoria, He had me do a blood test which came back normal (negative on diabetes, anemia etc). We tried medication for acid reflux but that didn't help either.

I would really apprieciate any help, I'm very very tired of this pain and feeling tired alot of the time. My doctor just kind of shakes his head, and has hinted at anxiety attacks or that I'm just 'bored'. Since different positions and tiredness seems to be main causes, (although it often comes on just for no reason that I can tell) and I live a rather stress free life, I don't think it is anxiety attacks. However, I realize I could be wrong.

Thank you for your time!
-Crayon Monster
 Andy1066 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:50 pm

Dull, aching chest pain can be very difficult to diagnosis as there are so many possible reasons or conditions that might cause this problem. You have seen a cardiologist and heart problems were ruled out for the most part. You have tried antiinflammatories which didn't give you any relief and you have tried medications for reflux disease without relief. My suggestion would be to approach your physiciam about medications that reduce anxiety or depression. I know that you stated that your life is stress free but I have seen other young females with the same complaint, who tried using antianxiety medications or low dose antidepressants with good results. Discuss this possibility with your doctor and see if it might help. Also keep after the problem, dull, aching chest is not normal.

You know sometimes we don't realize just how stressful our lives are and having this continual pain only is adding to your stress level. Best of luck and hope this might help you.

Andy, LVN, MSHS

|