Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: coughing for weeks???

clucky - Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:52 am

Hi ive had this annoying cough for weeks at least 4-5 weeks and I just can't get rid of it :? ive not been ill not even had a cold for months and months. I don't like going to my doctors (don't know why its just one of those things) but realised after family members keep going on about it that i must see my doctor so ive booked a appointment but cant get in until nxt Monday as they are fully booked.
Just want to know if anyone esle has had a cough for this long and if anyone knows what could be the problem.Im not old well im 31.

cheers thank you in advance.
 soniarn - Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:27 am

Dear Clucky
I am glad you've decided to see a Doctor in regards to your cough......
I conitnuous cough can be a caused by many things and the Doctor can
run some tests to see what's causing it...You didn't mention much about the
cough.....Is it a dry or wet cough?? Do you produce phlegm? What color is the
phlegm?? Have you coughed up any blood.....Do you have a fever or night sweats?
These questions will help your doctor to diagnose your cough.....
If you answered no to the questions above then it might be that your lungs are just irritated do to smoke, allergies, asthma and some medicines can even cause a chronic cough.......That's why I recommed the Doctors appointment so you can get a proper diagnoses......
 clucky - Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:46 am

Hi Soniarn,
Thanks for replying so quickly. Its a dry cough I don't produce any phlegm at all, no sign of blood, no fever or night sweats. I don't smoke and im not on any medications at the moment as i havent been ill for months.
So I havent got a clue why its happening will have to wait and see what the doctor says on Monday.
Thanks again.
 Dr. J. Jennings - Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:43 am

In non-smokers with a cough and a normal chest xray the cough you describe is due to only 3 things in 93% of all patients:
1. asthma
2. Reflux (heartburn)
3. post-nasal drip.

Many people EVEN who don't feel symptoms of heart burn are found to have this as the cause. Some people with astham just have a cough and no shortness of breath. This is called "cough-variant asthma. Your doctor needs to get a spirometry test to help sort out the above 3 causes - you cannot diagnose asthma without this test. I assume you are not taking any medications? Some meds, like ACE-inhibitors very commonly cause cough.
 sarc - Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:19 pm

I had a cough that lasted for almost 18 months (dry, no phlegm, no fever...just a really really annoying cough). I thought it might be allergies so I foolishly didn't go to the doctor but then it disappeared when I started to drink more water (water-cure that you might read about on the web).
It has been gone for almost 2 years.
Coincidentally, I had to go for a chest x-ray last month due to some other infection I had and the pulmonary doctor has since sent me for a CT scan and has diagnosed Sarcoidosis. Apparently, I have this disease that is not uncommon but is rarely diagnosed.
It usually involves some swelling of the nodes and may also attack other organs of the body. In fact, if you have ever had swelling of the lower legs or eye problems (tearing, blurry vision, etc.) these could also be symptoms...but you don't have to have any of those. 90% of Sarcoid diagnoses are done almost accidentally because of some kind of cough of lung ailment that comes on.
The disease is not curable but apparently, it is manageable if there is another flare. The general tendency is that it flares for 1-2 years with the cough and then may never come back....or, if you ignore it, you could become more chronic and have a very bleak prognosis.
This might be another route to pursue...put hopefully, it is a more positive diagnosis than I received.
 suddenly - Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:42 am

i hope you can help as i don't have health insurance and can't afford to see a doctor unless it's crucial to do so. here's my problem. my symptoms started with a dry cough, progressing to long coughing fits producing nothing by way of phlegm, blood, etc. now it's turned into laryngitis. i've been unable to speak (and be heard) for 8 days now. my work requires me to talk on the phone all day, so being quiet is near impossible. when i'm home i try not to talk at all. i've tried lozenges, hot tea with honey, and they haven't helped. i went to the pharmacy to see what else i could take and that's all they recommended. is there something more serious going on here? i've only had laryngitis once before years ago and it only lasted one day. anything you have to offer would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 pm

User avatar Hi Clucky -

I fully concur with Dr. Jennings about this. Try an antihistimine for the drying effect and see if that helps (something non-drowsy like Claritin for instance). Better yet, see a doctor, since the other possible causes might be less easy to figure out on your own.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:36 pm

User avatar Hello suddenly -

Well, as of your writing this it had become a pretty serious issue, since it was interfering with your work, and it is difficult to guess, at a distance, since this has so many potential causes. Hopefully you did see a doctor and this all resolved in a satisfactory way.

If you could update us on this here it would be good to know how this played out for you.

|