Question: Feel sick & pain under right rib

madhippychick - Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:40 am

Can you help. I have a pain in my right side under the ribs. It feels like being 9mths pregnant and having a babies foot up there in the way. I cannot sleep as I am too uncomfortable and I feel sick continuously. I have been to see my gp who says to sleep more upright on more pillows and to eat small regular meals. I also suffer from Sarcoidosis and wonder whether this is possibly to blame. I have been told to wait a few days until monday, but am at my wits end. I am mum of 3, one with autism, and have too much to do without sleeping. Please can you advise me please. Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:36 pm

User avatar Dear madhippychick,

Sarcoidosis in an inflammatory disease that primarily affects the lungs and lymph node.
Clinical manifestations are mainly chronic shortness of breath (dyspnea) and cough.
Other body organs can be affected by sarcoidosis; in order of frequency these organs are the liver, skin, heart, nervous system, and kidneys. In such cases, symptoms depend on the extent of the disease affection in each organ.

The pain you have described is more likely to be related to the disease itself in the lung, or due to affection of another system like the liver.
GI problems as an association of the disease or due to medications side effects can be another possibility.

I Advise you to take an appointment with a consultant, the pain that prevents you from sleeping well or in a normal position should be investigated properly for proper management.

I hope you find this information useful, keep us updated,

|