News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: 30 yr old, chronic pain

Bayoukitty - Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:15 pm

My pain started around May of this year, it comes and goes and I was attributing it to carry my daughters infant car seat with her in it, as she now is 7 months old and weighs 23lbs. I had a Cesarean for her in Feb,
Anyway I have pain mostly on my right side, sometimes it moves from my ribs to under my right breast, sometimes it is just below the pointed end of by collar bone on the right breast. It generally hurts worse with deep breaths and comes and goes. I also feel it in my back under my right shoulder blade. I have a head cold right now, but no coughing. I quit smoking over a month ago. Could this be a pulled muscle as tylenol in large doses seems to lessen the pain dramatically?
Also in the morning when I wake up and get moving my lungs burn, again no coughing, and sometimes when I breath deep they crack and pop, I have had this for years, but it is getting really annoying lately. Any suggestions as I have no insurance and if I go to the doctor for this I want to be able to narrow it down quickly.
Thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:01 pm

User avatar Dear Bayoukitty,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is usually associated with Cough and is more severe when taking deep breath. Viral infection is the commonest cause of Pleurisy. Being a smoker makes you at more risk for repeated chest infections.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Carrying your baby for long time with a maintained posture results in muscle pain due to muscle spasm.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises.

Regarding the morning chest symptoms that have increased recently after you stopped smoking, these may be related to nicotine withdrawal that can cause many symptoms including the chest pain. In such case however, Chest tightness is normaly felt for not more than few days.

Cardiac causes although are less likely to be the cause in your situation since the symptoms are very atypical to angina pain.

You need to be examined by your doctor, since the pain you described can be any of these causes. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here