Question: Crazy chest pain

Hopeful patient - Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:30 pm

I have been having pain in my chest and back (radiating from ribs) for about 5 months. 2 months ago I saw my doctor and she did tons of tests (EKG, bone scan, xrays, and some test where they injected something then put me in a machine that told me when to breathe and I got very warm). By default, she told me I had chostocondritis. I already have graves disease and had my thyroid taken out, and gallbladder disease and had that taken out. She gave me a shot of motrin that didn't help at all, and two rounds of steroids, which seemed to lessen the pain, and 800 mg of ibuprofin twice a day, which also seemed to help. The pain kept getting worse, so I am now taking darvocet n-100. I am still in alot of pain. I am a student and had a part time job (which I had to quit because I couldn't sit up in my chair for 5 hours at a time) and now my 3 hour classes are starting to be extremely uncomfortable. For about a week, I feel like I have been having problems swallowing (I get a feeling of a lump immediately after I swallow, but it goes away quickly). I have also been having bad headaches, and don't know if that is at all related to my chest and back pain. Please help...
 momto3boys - Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:39 am

Wow--you sound exactly like me! Mine started about 4 weeks ago and my most persistent symptom is upon wakening in the morning. I will have a dull ache throughout the back of both sides of my ribs and sometimes a sharp, jabbing pain that is usually on the front, left side of my rib. Usually all this pretty much goes away after I get up out of bed. I do have lots of tightness in my upper back and the front of my chest throughout the day though. Sometimes I get pains under my left breast too.
I don't want to run to the doctors just to have them tell me it's stress, but it is *something* and I am getting tired of it!
Has your gotten any better??

Nicole
 Hopeful patient - Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:54 pm

Nope, it has not gotten any better. I did go to the doctor AGAIN two days ago, and she wants me to see a physical therapist and a pain management doctor. My question is, why can't she just take care of the pain management? She said the pain management doctor would want to inject cortisone into my breastbone joints. Im not a doctor, but Ive done research and that was the one thing that most places said not to do. I also have extreme anxiety about getting a shot in my chest... I don't know about anyone else, but that terrifies me. Also, what can a physical therapist do if this is in my joints? I just want this to be over. I have read alot about costochondritis, and it seems it comes and goes. Like I said before, pain meds seem to help but just need to be increased (both the antiinflamatory, and the darvocet) and wait it out, then when we see how frequent it is, the decide on a plan of action, especially when it includes such high risk treatments. I would really like to be both pain and med free!

|