Question: Lump under right ribcage and hiccups

krissyleewicked - Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:59 am

:( Hi-
I am a 34 yr old female, with a thin frame, 5ft 5 126 #.

For about 6 months now I have been having a lot of hiccups and a fullness/ pressure in my upper abdomen. Along with that I was having some bloating after eating. I had an MRi and CT scan and all it showed was an adnexal mass ( which they think is an ovarian cyst). My concern is- about 4 days ago I noticed a rolling " LUMp" under my right lower rib cage. When I grasp it it kind of rolls up into the rib cage but it is kind of in the upper abdomen. It feels slightly tender when i do this and makes me a little nauseous. Any insight as to what this could be????

thanks
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:03 pm

User avatar Dear krissyleewicked,
First I would like to pint that most probably the mass you have felt days ago has no relation with the ovarian cysts that have been discovered by Imaging. A mass that is rolling, I assume mobile in the upper part of the abdominal wall or lower chest is more likely to be lipoma. If it is tender, probably it is infected and being inflamed made it swollen so you felt it more easily these days. Other cause of swelling that is painful or tender is inflammatory, or traumatic mass. In any case clinical examination is very essential for differential diagnosis of any palpable mass especially if the associated symptoms are not indicative of any possible diagnosis.
You better get an appointment with your doctor for complete examination. Only by examination and investigations the nature of this mass can be defined.

|