Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Methacholine challenge test help

airborne82 - Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:50 pm

Here is a breif discription of my situation, I am a former soldier was in the army for 2 years i was an airborne infantryman with the 82nd airborne division. I was removed from service because i was diagnosed with asthma when i was 8 years old. Back in 2000 it was a disqualifing factor but now it is not if you have not had since the age of 13. I am trying to re enlist because of a promise i made to my friend who was killed in iraq in 2003. As i said before i was in the army and completed many schools I have been deploied overseas once I was healthy enough for the army to let me jump out of planes!!! with no problems i have never had an asthma attack in my life. I am very active and am a land surveyor here in virginia i survey the blue ridge mountains again no problems up and down the mountains evry day. I have never really had exceptional lung function but i also have never had any asthma problems either.
To my question....Unless i pass the Methacholine challenge test i will not be able to get back into the millitary and fufill the promise i made to my friend I know this is not the best test to preform and it is old and outdated but the army seems to like the old methods of testing i guess. I am one step away from getting back in as i have already passed the physical and i have checked out great acording to the army I am to go to a infantry unit which will be deploing to afghanistan in early 2006 but only if i pass this test. I am fearfull i will not pass this test because of what i said before. I have looked everywhere for an answer how to do well on this test or in other words cheat the test to produce good results. If you could understand how pationate i am about this you would understand my perdiciment I want to finish what i started and get back into the army to protect our great nation in this time of terror it is very important to me so much i am willing to sacrifice my life so if there is anyone out there who can help me please don't hesitate i would be glad to hear any sugestions.
thank you for reading,
 airborne82 - Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:53 am

I know this is a tough one to answer but please take the time it is very important if you feel uncomefortable answering on the forum i have provided my email in the profile. it would help me greatly but im sure no one is gonna touch this one even with a 10 ft pole. :wink:
 airborne82 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:59 am

I see how it is some 16 year old post something it gets answerd right away but someone who needs help in a diffrent way gets no responce from anyone thanks i apreciate it.
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:07 am

User avatar Hello, Im very sorry no one else has answered you. I will do my best to help, although this is not exactly my area of expertise.

A Methacholine challenge is a test to determine if you have asthma. It is performed by inhaling a medication (methacholine) in increasing doses in an attempt to produce a change in your pulmonary function test results.

The test will continue until you reach at least a 20% drop in your FEVI (the amount of air you exhale in the first second) or you finish all the dosages of the medication.

After the testing is completed, you may be given a nebulizer treatment that will reverse the action of the methacholine, if it has caused your results to change.

After each dose and after the breathing (nebulizer) treatment, you will be asked to perform several breathing tests.

The testing time varies and may take up to 2 hours, depending on how you do.

You may have some mild shortness of breath from taking the medication. True asthma attacks are very rare and generally respond promptly to treatment.

Prior to coming in for testing, you will be asked not to take some of your morning medications:

The following medications need to be avoided 48 hours prior to testing.

Oral bronchodilators--Slobid, Theodur, Uniphyll, Unidur, Theophylline

Antihistamines--Claritin (regular and D), Allegra (regular and D), Benadryl, Bromfed, Atrohist, and over-the counter cold, cough and sinus medications.

The following medications need to be avoided 24 hours prior to testing.

Oral steroids--Prednisone, Medrol, Methylpredisolone

Oral bronchodilators--Proventil Repetabs

The following medications need to be avoided 12 hours prior to testing:

Bronchodilators--Albuterol, Ventoline, Proventil, Maxair, Brethaire, Serevent, Atrovent, Combivent

Avoid all caffeine 6 hours prior to testing. NORMAL DIET - no fasting is necessary

Basically, in order to pass this test, you need to be able to take all the doses without having an athsma attack.

Im not sure what I can offer to help you with this, as I said, this is an area I know much about.

I think you should get in touch with a respiratory therapist, and ask them if there is anythign you can do.

Im very sorry I cannot be of more help, and I wish you the best of luck, please keep me updated.
 airborne82 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:20 pm

I appreciate your responce i was wondering if takeing one of the inhalers before the test would help the results at all or is it dangerous to take them before the test? I do not have an inhaler but my mother does wonder if that will produce better results?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:45 am

User avatar Well, you cannot take your mothers inhaler before the test, because in order to take the test, as stated in my previous post, thoes medications need to be avoided prior to the test.
The test is to check your pulmonary function to see how bad athsma is, and if you take any type of inhaler, then the test will not be accurate. I would assume the doctor would ask you or test to see if you have taken anything that would make the test incorrect.
As I said before, check with a respiratory therapist about this, or hopefully one will answer this post, because Im sure they can offer much more insight on this matter than I can.

Take care,
Gracie
 airborne82 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:42 am

as i stated in my posting that i am looking for a way to beat the test so i can get back in to the army i am very capable of preforming my dutys and have done very well before i was discharged the first time i just want to finish what i started and pass this test with no problems failing is not an option anymore if i do take the inhaler i should produce better results i don't believe there is a test to see if i have taken anything prior to the test. thank you for your time in responding
 airborne82 - Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:15 pm

So i took the test and i was borderline my fevi was 24% when it needs to be 20% i did not take anything this time around but i do have a test scheduled for next month as i do have a sinus infection so he scheduled me for another test thank god i have another chance to beat the test they did all they could to help me pass it even testing 2 times to get a better result again my question stands for when i go back for testing is there anything i can take to get that number up to say 18% ill even take 20 as long as it doesnt fall below 20 im good. Primatine mist or the tablet form will that help me at all do better can i get an answer from someone please!!!!

|