Question: pain in back-left side, under arm, around left nipple area

desicools - Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:23 pm

I am male 47 years old, had one angioplasty with one stent done 3 years ago. Lately I am having pain in left back (around sholder blade), under left arm and around left nipple area. These are tender area where if you press, it really hurts. Also sometimes I feel like that something is stuck in my left side of chest, and I feel like burping but can't. I have had few echo-stress, ekg, blood works done but they are all negative. I have tried Advil for pain but does not seem to help. I also tried GASX for antacid but does not help. I have had chest ct scan done last year and was negative. Pls help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:18 pm

User avatar Dear ,
Many individuals complain of vague chest pains following stenting or angioplasty.

However, the fact that you have tenderness on the part where you feel the pain indicates a myoskeletal origin for this pain. Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of chest pain. They are also tenderness over the affected areas. In all of these conditions the chest pain is usually aggravated by taking deep breath and cough.
Since your cardiac tests and CT are all normal, you can calm down and keep on follow up with your doctor.

Chest pain of GI origin (gastritis, IBS, ulcer, etc) is also to be considered and may cause chest pain similar to that of coronary heart disease. The condition can be associated with burp like feeling, and gas, however is not associated with tenderness over the chest wall.

I advise to keep on follow up with your physician and to inform him with any new symptoms. Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|