Question: constant pain near/in heart

titus1420 - Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:04 pm

I am a 29 y.o. male, no history of health issues but i am a smoker. I am a recovered drug user and have not had any chemical perscription or non and no alcohol at all for 3 yrs.
for the last 2-3 years i have had chest pain in my heart area. It feels kind of like pressure with an ache. I also occaisionally have bursts of palpitations that are hard and when they occur, it feels like my chest becomes hollow. these are much more random than the pain. I have had xrays of my chest and ekg and also blood work including cholesterol count, all fine. I don't know where to start looking for an explanation without paying crazy hospital bills for repeat diognosis. What, do i do? Will an asprin or two a day help? Titus 1420
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:45 pm

User avatar Dear titus1420,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with Cough and is more severe when taking deep breath. Viral infection is the commonest cause of Pleurisy. Being a smoker makes you at a risk of repeated chest infection.

Cardiac causes , should be excluded especially that you are a smoker. Stress ECG and Echocardiogram are important to exclude cardiac causes including mitral valve prolapse.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises.

You need to be examined by your doctor, since the pain you described can be any of these causes. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|