Question: Sharp pain on right side of chest

ask208 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:47 am

Since last 5 days i am having a sharp pain on the right side on the top part of my chest. It last for only 2 to 3 seconds. But occurs frequently. Even though i don't feel like coughing, but if i try to cough it out, a bit of clear thick mucos comes along with my spit. I have not other physical problems or breathing problems. I havent consulted any doctor yet. Please let me know what the problem can be and what i should do.
regards.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:51 pm

User avatar Dear ask208,

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung is more likely to be the cause of these symptoms.

Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with cough and is more severe when taking deep breath.
It makes also breathing very difficult.
The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases.
You have mentioned that you suffer also from cough, and clear mucus productive cough too, thus a viral infection is more likely to be the case, and it has affected your pleura.
The condition gradually improves with rest, plenty of fluid. NSAID can help reduce the pain.
If you have a productive cough with yellowish or greenish sputum, or high fever, you should visit your doctor immediately to receive the proper medical care.

|