Question: Chest pain - more information to my previous query

ask208 - Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:20 am

I think i have to add some more information to my previous query. I am 44 years of age and a non-smoker. I do not take any kind of alcholic drinks too. I work in a Government organsation and my job nature is such that i have to be in front of a computer for more that 6 hours a day. I used to do Yoga regularly for about a year. Its about 2 months now since my father expired. Since than i have not done my yoga. I do not do any other exercises. I am living in a hill station. I have wheezing problems when i walk uphill even for a short distance. If I walk fast I would be gasping for my breath for some time.
I hope that I an not having any severe probs! :(
regards
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:44 pm

User avatar Dear ask208,
I have read your two posts and some possible causes of your complaint will be explained in my reply.
Since your symptoms have started after losing your father, Anxiety is to be considered as a possible cause of your complaints. Anxiety and rapid breathing is one of the known causes of Chest pain, probably due to exertion of the respiratory muscles.
In this case the pain is usually felt as pressure inside the chest that radiate to the neck and shoulders all around the sides and the back. And is sometimes associated with the feeling of numbness around lips and hands. In this case all what would help you is to lie down, relax and try to slow the rate of breathing. Breathing also inside a bag kept loosely around nose and mouth would improve the symptoms. I should emphasize that this diagnosis is made primarily after exclusion of all other causes of Chest pain by careful history taking and physical examination by your physician, in addition to all the required investigations.

Bronchial asthma: Wheezing is the most common presenting symptom for asthma. It usually begins suddenly, worsens at night or in early morning, aggravated by exposure to certain allergens such as, as moist air, molds, dust mites, pollens and molds. Symptoms are also exacerbated with exercise, heartburn (reflux), analgesics such as NSAID and chest infections. Wheezing usually resolves either spontaneously, or by the use bronchitis.
Other patients presents with cough with or without sputum (phlegm), Chronic shortness of breath that is aggravated with exercises and mandate the us of accessory respiratory muscles.
Diagnosis is made by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest during the episode shows the very characteristic wheezing sounds. In between attacks the chest is normal on examination and some Tests may help:
Lung function tests
• Peak flow measurements
• Chest x-ray

Pleurisy: Inflammation of the pleura covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with cough and is more severe when taking deep breath.

You need to be checked by your doctor, by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

ask208 - Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:21 am

Dear Doctor,
Thank you for your reply to my two postings in this site. Even though itwas after a long waiting a got this reply, I think it was worth waiting. I am glad to inform that the pain which I had on my chest walls and cough assoicated with it which i reported in my last two postings has gradually subsided and is no more now.
My only problem now is the wheezing which i have when i walk up hill even for a very short duration. I have heard from my parents that i did suffer from Asthama when i was a child up to the age of 10 or so. After that I never had any asthamatic attack. I never had any problems in staying in any sort of weather or climate.
A few months back I have, under the direction my my physician, I did an X-ray check of my chest. But it did not reveal anything to suspect.
I wish to add here that I am developing a paunch even though i don't seem to have fat settled in any other part of my body. Do you think I need a checkup on this? Or is this one of the cause of my breathing problem?
Expecting an early reply...
regards
ask208
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:55 pm

User avatar Dear ask208,

Diagnosis of asthma is made primarly by careful history and examination. Auscultation of the chest during the episodes shows the very characteristic wheezing sounds. In between attacks the chest is normal on examination and some Tests that your doctor may recommend include:
Lung function tests
• Peak flow measurements
• Chest x-ray

Gain of weight and decreased physical fitness may increase the shortness of breath one effort.
I advise you to take an appointment with your doctor for proper management.

|