Question: inflamation of the lining of the lungs

klembott - Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:26 pm

10 months ago I started having pain in my right side (the location varried and the pain was random).
Three weeks ago, this pain became constant, extremely painful, and stemmed from behind me lower ribs to my pelvic bone.
I spent 15 hours in the ER, went through CAT scan, ultra sound, blood testing, and a pelvic exam. They discharged me with "back pain".
I went to my physician a couple days later and he diagnosed me with what he called "Mycoplasm" said it was inflamation of the lining of the lungs.
He perscribed me Doxycyline.
I took the medication for a day and then woke up in the middle of sleep with intense pain in my chest. It felt like a huge ball was rolling from my lower sternum area up to my throat. For 2 hours it was the worst pain I have ever felt. I would normally go to the ER, but I don't have insurance. The pain has lessened a bit, but still really hurts when I breath and I can't eat because of the pain. I haven't been able to get a hold of my doctor because he is on vacation.

Do you think this is serious enough to go to the ER? Also, any medical suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:56 pm

User avatar Hi klembott,

The type of pain you describe seems to be substernal burning (heartburn) occurring most often after meals, and aggravated by lying down, bending over, or lifting objects.

Doxycicline might be the origin of your heartburn, sometimes it may cause esophagitis and gastritis. I suggest you take the medication with food or milk and at least 2 hours before going to bed. Otherwise you may ask your doctor to change the prescription.
 klembott - Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:08 am

Thank you so much for the information! I'll try your suggestions.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:51 pm

User avatar You are welcome, just something else I forgot, drink 1 or 2 glasses of water after you take the medication, sometimes it stays in the esophagus.

|