News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest pain relief

katnab - Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:00 am

I have been having tightness and pain in my chest along with shortness of breath for the past week. My doctor has ordered a chest X-ray and a visit to the cardiologist, but my X-ray results are not in yet and my visit to the cardiologist is 3 weeks away. (He wanted to do an echocardiogram, but my insurance requires that I see the cardiologist first.) My problem is that I don't know how to manage the symptoms for the next little while to get through my teaching daily. I have stopped using chalk to teach (as my doctor suspects asthma), but I am still having trouble making it through an entire day. Sometimes I am so breathless that I have to stop teaching for a bit and wait. I have even had to go home early on 2 occasions this week. It feels like I am nine months pregnant again when I try to climb the stairs. Any ideas to manage this while I am in limbo? Thank you as any sound advice is appreciated. Kat
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:53 pm

User avatar Dear katnab,
Obstruction of the nose, mouth, throat or any other part of the airway tract can cause breathing difficulties.

Common causes of repeated episodes of shortness of breath include:
Chronic bronchitis which is common in smokers
Asthma in which chest wheeze (a characteristic sound) is felt and auscultated by the stethoscope.
Coronary artery disease which usually starts with exertional dyspnea and cough.
Interstitial lung disease in which progressive dyspnea is common
Pneumonia and other types of chest infection , fever, cough (productive or dry), general malaise are usual associated symptoms
Pulmonary hypertension
Rapid ascent to high altitudes, with less oxygen in the air
Allergies Common allergens like dust mites, cockroach allergens, molds, and pollens and Common respiratory irritants include: tobacco smoke, pollution, and fumes from burning wood or gas
Panic attacks and anxiety are common causes of shortness of
breath.

The diagnosis is made primarily by: complete history
Physical examination
Imaging techniques
Pulmonary function tests
ECG and ECG stress test.
What I can advise you to do while you are being investigated, is to calm down, and to avoid exposure to any allergen or respiratory irritant.
Best regards,
 katnab - Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks. Apparently, it was the chalk. I am allergic to dust and was breathing in way too much chalk each day. I am fine now after months of staying away from it. Kat

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here