Question: Chest pain relief

katnab - Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:00 am

I have been having tightness and pain in my chest along with shortness of breath for the past week. My doctor has ordered a chest X-ray and a visit to the cardiologist, but my X-ray results are not in yet and my visit to the cardiologist is 3 weeks away. (He wanted to do an echocardiogram, but my insurance requires that I see the cardiologist first.) My problem is that I don't know how to manage the symptoms for the next little while to get through my teaching daily. I have stopped using chalk to teach (as my doctor suspects asthma), but I am still having trouble making it through an entire day. Sometimes I am so breathless that I have to stop teaching for a bit and wait. I have even had to go home early on 2 occasions this week. It feels like I am nine months pregnant again when I try to climb the stairs. Any ideas to manage this while I am in limbo? Thank you as any sound advice is appreciated. Kat
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:53 pm

User avatar Dear katnab,
Obstruction of the nose, mouth, throat or any other part of the airway tract can cause breathing difficulties.

Common causes of repeated episodes of shortness of breath include:
Chronic bronchitis which is common in smokers
Asthma in which chest wheeze (a characteristic sound) is felt and auscultated by the stethoscope.
Coronary artery disease which usually starts with exertional dyspnea and cough.
Interstitial lung disease in which progressive dyspnea is common
Pneumonia and other types of chest infection , fever, cough (productive or dry), general malaise are usual associated symptoms
Pulmonary hypertension
Rapid ascent to high altitudes, with less oxygen in the air
Allergies Common allergens like dust mites, cockroach allergens, molds, and pollens and Common respiratory irritants include: tobacco smoke, pollution, and fumes from burning wood or gas
Panic attacks and anxiety are common causes of shortness of
breath.

The diagnosis is made primarily by: complete history
Physical examination
Imaging techniques
Pulmonary function tests
ECG and ECG stress test.
What I can advise you to do while you are being investigated, is to calm down, and to avoid exposure to any allergen or respiratory irritant.
 katnab - Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:14 pm

Thanks. Apparently, it was the chalk. I am allergic to dust and was breathing in way too much chalk each day. I am fine now after months of staying away from it. Kat

|