Question: Discomfort rotating between chest and neck

NFL - Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:32 am

For the past week I've been having a tightness that rotates between my chest and my neck. I almost always have the discomfort in one of the locations, but never in both at the same time. When the discomfort is in my chest, I'm constantly wanting to belch, although that doesn't really help. It feels like there is some kind of blockage just below the chest. Every so often I get girgling noises in my chest, which sometimes produce a belch, and that makes it feel better, although just temporarily.

Like I said it seems to rotate between the chest and neck and usually switches locations just once a day. For example, yesterday I had the tightness / pressure feeling in my neck until about 2 or 3pm and then it switched down to the chest, where it is now. I get a little short of breath sometimes, but it's usually not too bad.

I went to the doctor and they did an EKG and a chest x-ray and found nothing.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:06 pm

User avatar Dear NFL,

Pain in the chest with these characters can be due to one of these causes:

In appropriate contraction of the throat or esophageal muscles causes Chest pain that can be severe and sometimes is felt as a lump or tightness in the chest with difficult swallowing and bad breathing. The condition can be a sequence of sore throat or (viral, bacteria) infection that subsides gradually after recovering from infections or as a motility disorder in the esophagus.

GERD
The anatomical relation between the diaphragm and the Lowe Esophageal Sphincter LES prevents the gastric acids to come up into the esophagus (reflux). Acid reflux causes severe pain and discomfort in the chest in the morning. Others may experience a feeling like the food stuck in their throat or tightness in the throat, dry Cough and Shortness of breath similar to Asthma.

Stress and smoking can increase these symptoms. Certain foods as well are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them.

Psychological or emotional stress and Anxiety, in these cases the diagnosis is made by exclusion of other causes.
Diagnosis is made by complete history taking, physical examination, investigations like Upper Endoscopy, Manometric studies, and other lab tests that can be recommended by the doctor accordingly.

Certain foods are known to aggravate the condition, and you better avoid them. These include chocolate, beverages containing caffeine, fatty and fried foods, garlic and onions, spicy and tomato containing foods. In addition smoking is one of he precipitating factors that should be avoided.

Keep on follow up with your doctor, update him with your symptoms, by complete history and physical examination, he can recommend the proper medical approach.

|