Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: pain in chest

moon222 - Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:59 am

ast November had pain in left side of chest. Went to E.R. Told I had plurisy. Two weeks later went to doctor. Told I had lower left pneumonia. She didn't know why I was having so much pain in my chest. Put on antibiotic. Given painkiller. Eight days later go back to er after taking painkillers for 2 days every 4 hrs. Given ekg- normal. All blood test normal. Sed rate normal. Told maybe have shingles. Never had a rash. Was told to have a mammogram, and a chest ct if symtoms persist. Had mammogram. Some mirco-calcifacation found. Chest ct normal. 5 months later had bi-lateral mammogram done. Normal. I'm still having pain in chest. Goes down either side of rib cage. Ibuprofen helps sometimes. Not taking painkillers or muscle relaxers. Doctor thinks it's some sort of muscle problem. Does this sound right to you?
 moon222 - Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:43 pm

After reading other forums, I'm not sure what kind of a dr. I need to see- if any. I do have blood in my urine. You can't see it, only on test. Saw a Nephrologist about 10 years ago for this.Kept getting strep throat, only way I knew it was when my kidney's start hurting. Had an IVP and 24hr. urine catch done. All came back ok. I don't think I have a problem with my kidneys. As for my spleen? Yikes no clue. Bowels seem fine. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Could this be costochondritis? Thanks
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Your pain, given the bilateral nature of it, probably is muscular, and yet may be indirectly related to the pneumonia and pleurisy prior. It could be a neuritis also, but since it responds to ibuprofen I would think muscle most likely. There is even the possibility of a lingering irritation of the pleura from the earlier infection. If ibuprofen works, I would stick with it, using it according to instructions, since these type of meds often can be curative of inflammatory processes if used long enough. ("Long enough" would be until the pain no longer recurs). I'd give it a month. If the pain continues to return after that, you're going to need a second opinion.

If the pains you're having now do not resemble the kidney pain you've experienced in the past then it's not likely to be that. That pain would be deeper and more severe or a long-lasting ache. It sounds as though you're having some sort of nerve or muscle irritation.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

|