Question: pain/breathleness in left side

tina - Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:25 am

I have been experiencing pain in the left side of my chest & some breathleness. I find that it gets worse when I try to relax during the evening... I do exercise a lot & do 40 minutes of aerobic exercise three times a week. Do you think it maybe a broken rib/pulled muscle or possibly a lung problem? Its got worse over the past week or so. Be grateful for your advice
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:34 pm

User avatar Dear tina,

The chest contains many organs, like the heart, lungs with its pleural covering, esophagus, muscles, ribs, tendons, and nerves.
They all can be the source of the pain felt in the chest.

Overexertion of the chest wall muscles or their inflammation as a part of viral infection like flu or cold results also in Chest pain, the pain is usually aggravated with certain moves and is usually associated with tenderness over the affected muscles. Pain due to rib or chest wall bone disease is also another cause of Chest pain.

Cardiac causes although are less likely to be the cause in your situation (atypical pain and no risk factors) , should be excluded.

Inflammation of the pleura (pleurisy) covering the lung gives a sharp pain that is associated with Cough and is more severe when taking deep breath. Viral infection is the commonest cause of Pleurisy.

Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, gall bladder disease, GER. But these medical problems are usually related to meals and are not related to deep breath or physical exercises.

You need to be examined by your doctor, since the pain you described can be any of these causes. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|