News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Could it be asthma?

nosouvenirs - Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:38 pm

I am a 19 year old female. I took an allergy test two or three years ago, when it was discovered that I have an allergy to dust and dust mites. For quite a long time now I have had sinus troubles -- mucus at the back of the throat, chronically stuffy nose, etc. However, I also have a deep cough that I can usually do at will, which also happens on its own occasionally. If I have been coughing for several minutes I sometimes start to get a coppery taste in my mouth. It doesn't seem to matter how much I clean my (hardwood-floored, fairly bleak-looking) room -- my symptoms still don't change.

I also seem to have slight trouble breathing occasionally. For example, I absolutely cannot sleep on my back at nights, because I end up hardly able to breathe. On my side or (sometimes) on my stomach are my only workable positions. I am also about 30 pounds overweight, which may have something to do with it. I also find that I have more trouble breathing if a room is very warm or stuffy.

Occasionally I have had to sprint to catch a bus. I am not in shape at all, but these sprints would last no more than two or three minutes. However, after sprinting for the bus I find myself coughing and wheezing off and on for at least half an hour. It feels like the cold air chills my windpipe, which then becomes irritated and makes me cough. I did a search and apparently this, and some chronic sinus problems, can possibly be related to asthma.

How likely do you think it is that I may have asthma? Could it just be problems related to my allergies?
 dsjeya - Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:20 am

what is in the name asthma is due to sensitive lungs,u have allergy sinusititis important overweight
reduce your weight
go for a lung function test

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here