News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Severe upper chest pain

jimmys - Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:08 am

Ive been having pain in my upper chest anywhere from the left side to the right but mainly in the center of my chest. Its now leading to headaches and has been occuring for years off and on but almost constant for the past 4 days or so. One doctor thought it was an esopagial spasm but my upper gii came back negative. Gallstones seem to fit the symptoms more. It also causes me to sweat when its bad such as now. Please help, its scaring me now. Thank you
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:23 am

User avatar Dear jimmys,
Chest pain is a common symptom for spastic esophageal motility disorders. The character of this pain is expressed by many like that of myocardial ischemia, or as chest tightness or lump in the throat. The pain is intermittent, but in many cases is aggravated by cold drinks and stress.
Sometimes headache occurs as a result of spasm in the neck or upper chest (e.g. pharyngeal, and esophageal spasm), the so called cervicogenic headache. This type of headache is felt at the base of the skull and radiates downwards with characters similar to migraine. and is sometimes associated with numbness over neck, lips, shoulders, and the upper chest.

Some medications to treat esophageal motility disorders 8spasm ) are by themselves the cause of the headache.
You have to discuss all of your symptoms and the medications You are receiving with your doctor. By complete history, physical examination, he can recommend the proper investigations to reach the correct diagnosis.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here