News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: 25/m Chest Numbness

The CEO - Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:09 pm

I am a 25/m who has always been healthy and active. I must admit, though, that my diet has always been terrible. I tend to fluctuate around 190 lbs. (5'6, built) with a 10 lb. range up or down.

About 5-6 months ago I started to notice that every time I would lay on my left side, I would feel a tingling senation in my chest (to be precise, in my solarplexus). It feels as though its numb, and I cannot stand to remain laying on my left side. The feeling does not persist on my right side.

Now I feel an almost constant numbness/tightness. Touching my skin in that area almost feels as though it is numb. Even though I have always been active, I have always been a big-time Soda drinker, junkfood eater. I have been trying to cut down within the past week or so, by drinking a lot more water.

This numbing feeling is very scary for me, as I am still very young and can't see a Heart problem happening so soon. Any help whatsoever would be a blessing. Thank you!

-Rosso
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:46 pm

User avatar Dear The CEO,
The symptoms you have described are more likely to be of neurological origin than a cardiac cause.
Brachial plexus compression gives similar symptoms.
The Brachial Plexus represents a network of nerves that supply the upper part of the body (skin and muscles). To reach the upper trunk it passes through different areas where it can be stretched or compressed at different levels. One of them is under the muscles of the chest wall (pectoralis minor) which help the shoulder to be bent froward or in between the scalene muscles at the root of the neck. Symptoms according to the area where it is affected and generally lead to numbness and weakness of the affected part.
Activities in which there is frequent overhead use of arm, forward bending, or heavy weight on the shoulder are more likely to aggravate the condition. Foe example when a person wake up with the arm or part of chest wall numb after keeping the hand over the head while sleeping is common.
Physical examination and imaging studies can help define the cause.
Maintaining good posture and physical excercise can help improve symptoms.
I advise you to take an appointment with your consultant for complete examination and proper diagnosis.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here