News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Very sharp stabbing pain under right breast

angelita0912 - Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:56 pm

I am having a sudden attack of very very sharp pain that seems to be solely located right underneath my right breast. It feels like it's under my ribs. It's hard to breathe normally without it hurting.

I'm also sick right now so I don't think that's helping anything. I fell ill on tuesday, and it's now thursday afternoon. the sharp pain has lasted almost 2 hours now. I'm not sure what I should do and where it all came from. Please help.

Thank you. :cry:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:29 am

User avatar Hi angelita0912,
Have you had any fever, chills, productive cough, etc.? Is the pain worse with inspiration (when you take a breath in), any shortness of breath etc.? Episodes of chest pain symptoms warrants an evaluation by your physician to identify the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 rashika - Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:22 pm

i too have been having chest pains. it started out with a very short (3-5 second) sharp pain that would go away, and just yesterday started doing something new. the pain is on my right side, just under my ribs. if i slouch or curl up, the pain goes away, but if i sit up straight, or try to breath deeply, it comes back. also, i've found that if im lying on my right side, the pain is completely gone, whereas if i lie on my left side, it hurts really bad. the sensation i get is that there is something heavy hanging by my lowest rib, and when i lie on my left side, it pulls down. like, an organ in there is barely attached to my rib, and whatever its attached with it breaking.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:18 am

User avatar Hi rashika,
Are your symptoms rlated to anything specific, for example, eating certain foods, deep breathing etc.?
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 SpecWood - Sat May 09, 2009 11:55 am

I experience a sharp pain about 2 inches under my right nipple when I exercise on my bike and start breathing heavily. The pain is very quick. It almost feels like something is pulling apart, similar to a stretched rubber band breaking and then it is over. It lasts less than a second. I have no tenderness or any other pain or symptoms. It only happens when I really push myself and start breathing heavily. It seems to happen less and less as I ride each day but it still happens with some regularity when I push myself hard. It sometimes will happen more than once on a ride but usually it happens once and is over. I may be subconsciously restricting my efforts afraid that I will experience again. It is not particulary painful but it is a sharp enough pain that it is causing me some concern and apprehension.

About 8 or 10 years ago I had a bad fall while snowboarding and cracked some ribs and the chiroprator that xrayed me said that I had also "sprung" some ribs. It seemed to take a long time (3-4 months) for this injury to heal and the pain to go away. I have not done any cardio exercise since then that really made me breathe heavily until I started taking up bicycling in the last 8 months. I have always done alot of walking but nothing that got my heart rate and respiration elevated.

Could this just be old scar tissue that is breaking loose as I expand my lung capacity or is there some organ in that area that is giving me problems. I really have been blessed to have no health problems, but this occasional sharp pain is causing me some concern.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here