Question: Chest pain under right rib

btdawgh - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:53 pm

daughter 32 years old,has Muscular Dytrophy FSH, wheelchair dependent,PE in 2000..on coumadin,
my car hit front side on passenger side(where my daughter was)..she was wearing seat belt..immediate pain in her stomach area..Cat Scan showed nothing,pain continued,
sick to stomach and not eating. Had Gastroendoscope which showed nothing. Wreck about one month ago and she is still sick to her stomach. Pain under right rib cage continues
HELP Please....where do we go from here?
What Dr. to see? She is eating very little and most often eating nothing. Also has bad headaches and neck discomfort.
........Is this a "chest" problem since under right rib cage?
I am very concerned and do not know what to do.
.....There has to be a physical problem causing this but WHAT?
PLEASE....advice needed. Should we ask for an MRI to investigate cause of pain and nausea?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:47 pm

User avatar Dear btdawgh,

The symptoms you have described are very suggestive of viral infection and muscle pain and spasm.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:
Traumatic
Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Flu
Metabolic abnormalities like low Magnesium level and Hypocalcemia

In these cases, Physical therapy, home care and proper posture will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.
She is not eating well and a healthy diet is also helpful.

I advise you to follow up with her consultant (expertise in Muscular Dystrophy ).
Clinicians familiar with the disease are more aware if these symptoms follow the damage of the weakening muscles resulting in this severe pain.

If spinal or bone problems are expected MRI is of choice.

Hope you find this information useful.

|