News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red blotch on face from cold sore

arrawyn - Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:10 pm

Hi,

I'm 26 and have got cold sores fairly frequently all my life since i was little (2 or 3 times a year). 2 weeks ago I got a REALLY big cold sore, not on my lip but near it, on my right side of my bottom lip. I put a liquid ointment on and it scabbed up fine, and i ran out of the liquid ointment and got a cream to put on it. I hardly picked it at all (as i usually pick at my cold sores somewhat but try not to!) i accidentally picked away the largest scab. BUT anyways, it has been about 2 weeks since the scabbing has gone away and it has left an unsightly red blotch on my face that hasn't gone away yet! i'm very self concious of it and i'm just wondering if it will be like that forever now? or will it fade eventually? i don't mind if i am left with a bit of scarring because that isn't as noticeable as a big red blotch!

At the moment I think i am still run down and have some kind of virus as my tongue looks very blotchy as well (like it has chunks out of it!) so i'm wondering if that is why the redness hasn't faded?

As i've said i've had cold sores all my life and as far as i can remember, they have all gone away fine even with picking(if for a bit of scarring that i can barely notice).

I have been putting various skin healing ointments and witch hazel (to help with the redness) with no avail! if there is any advice as to what could help i would be greatly appreciate it.

Thanks very much,

Caitlin
 arrawyn - Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:22 pm

Its me again,

i'm just wondering - if anyone HAS had a pink/red blotch left where the scabs of their cold sore were - how long until it went away - weeks or months or what?!

Just wondering how long i will have to live with this!!

Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give.

arrawyn

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here