News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin breakout (not acne)

noriko - Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:55 am

I'm nineteen years old. Over the past month or so my skin has been breaking out like crazy; mostly on my neck, chest and stomach, but there's a few scattered over the rest of my body, too, and it looks to be spreading to my chin. They start out as bumps, but after a day or so they grow a bit larger, about the size of a pin head, and sometimes they're a bit pointed. They are flesh-colored, I can't pop them and they don't itch or hurt, but they're not going away and new are coming up every day or so. I've probably got over 40 on me now.

It's just so sudden, and I've never had any problems with my skin before. I'm wondering if it's an infection or maybe even something more severe. Do you think you could help? Thank you.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:19 pm

User avatar Hello,

This could be a Dermatitis.

Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants.

The severity of the rash range from mild to severe according to the cause. There might be Itching on many cases.

If these lesions are irregular, raised or flat red that appeared after eating certain food, intake of certain drinks, or taking a medicine then this could be an allergic reaction.

If these lesions are in the form of Bumps that are also itchy and appear any where on the body then this could be HIVES, a type of skin reaction to an allergen, medicine or infection and are common in individuals who are very nervous.

Contact Dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact Dermatitis)
or with an irritant substances (irritant contact Dermatitis).

There are many causes for contact Dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Infections include candida and Dermatophyte skin infection (ingworm) , can result in lesions typically are annular, with an advancing scaly border and central clearing. Treatment of fungal infection may requires about 4 weeks of local antifungal measures to clean these lesions.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here