Question: Damaged fingernails

sated - Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:29 pm

About 10 years ago, I smashed my first 3 fingertips and my thumbtip. Went to the doc then and he told me that eventually, my nails would regrow correctly and to keep them clean and trimmed. Well, 5 years ago I went to a doc for the same tips due to a thickening of the nails and they are raised and have white streaks through them. They also are very brittle. My thumb nail will not grow back right yet. The doc told me to give it more time. About a month ago, I was tired of having the ugly looking nails. Went to the doc and he told me that it was psosrasis (spelling wrong i'm sure) under the nail. He also told me that there was nothing I could do. i'm in the military and you cannot get a second opinion unless you pay out of pocket. Doc is a general practice doc in training. Question: Could this be true?
 frustratedperson - Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:38 pm

I smashed my fingernail about 10 years ago and it hasn't grown back properly either. It will only grow across 1 half of the nail actually... I'd be interested to hear if you find anything out.
 sated - Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Is yours really .... flakey I guess, does it break really easy?
 frustratedperson - Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:31 pm

not relly. The best I can describe is that theres a dent near where it grows out from the impact and there's a layer of nail growth over actual nail, but it only grows across half of the nail. Kind of like it grew back out on the one side, but not on the other where the impact and indent are.

|