News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Damaged fingernails

sated - Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:29 pm

About 10 years ago, I smashed my first 3 fingertips and my thumbtip. Went to the doc then and he told me that eventually, my nails would regrow correctly and to keep them clean and trimmed. Well, 5 years ago I went to a doc for the same tips due to a thickening of the nails and they are raised and have white streaks through them. They also are very brittle. My thumb nail will not grow back right yet. The doc told me to give it more time. About a month ago, I was tired of having the ugly looking nails. Went to the doc and he told me that it was psosrasis (spelling wrong i'm sure) under the nail. He also told me that there was nothing I could do. i'm in the military and you cannot get a second opinion unless you pay out of pocket. Doc is a general practice doc in training. Question: Could this be true?
 frustratedperson - Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:38 pm

I smashed my fingernail about 10 years ago and it hasn't grown back properly either. It will only grow across 1 half of the nail actually... I'd be interested to hear if you find anything out.
 sated - Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Is yours really .... flakey I guess, does it break really easy?
 frustratedperson - Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:31 pm

not relly. The best I can describe is that theres a dent near where it grows out from the impact and there's a layer of nail growth over actual nail, but it only grows across half of the nail. Kind of like it grew back out on the one side, but not on the other where the impact and indent are.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here