Question: Bump on my neck

Buffy457 - Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:18 am

Last wekk my neck was itching and it looked like I had a mosquito/bug bite on my neck. It's December so I assumed I had been bitten by a spider or other bug.

I put alcohol on it and the itching and redness went away but the bump is lingering and is not going away.

Could it be a cyst or something?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:15 pm

This could be a Dermatitis.

Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants.

The severity of the rash range from mild to severe according to the cause. There might be Itching on many cases.

If these lesions are irregular, raised or flat red that appeared after eating certain food, intake of certain drinks, or taking a medicine then this could be an allergic reaction.

If these lesions are in the form of Bumps that are also itchy and appear any where on the body then this could be HIVES, a type of skin reaction to an allergen, medicine or infection and are common in individuals who are very nervous.

Contact Dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact Dermatitis)
or with an irritant substances (irritant contact Dermatitis).

There are many causes for contact Dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

Avoiding the causing substance is the mainstay of prevention in addition to medications prescribed by your doctor.

Infections include candida and Dermatophyte skin infection (ingworm) , can result in lesions typically are annular, with an advancing scaly border and central clearing. Treatment of fungal infection may requires about 4 weeks of local antifungal measures to clean these lesions.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

|