"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: bump on finger

maiden75 - Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:30 pm

A few days ago I noticed a tiny, hard bump under the skin on the underside of my middle finger just above the big knuckle. It's really small, but when I rub it, it is hard, doesn't move and it hurts. When I bend my middle finger at that spot it feels fat and swollen. When I rub my finger over it it feels like a little tendon or something. Any help would be great. Thanks! :wink:
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:30 pm

This swelling is probably either tendonitis or bursitis.

Tendonitis is a tendon swelling, tendons act to
string muscles that pull on the joints and move the attached part.

Bursitis is an inflammation of the little, oily sacks near joints that assist in the movement and lubrication of joints.
Repeated motions, or injuries may cause them get inflamed forming a visible swelling around the effected part.

Rest of the affected part is very important to improve the condition.
Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.