Question: Reoccurring lump behind right ear

tkokerr - Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:58 am

This is my first visit here and I was hoping someone might be able to suggest some possibilities for what this lump might be! For several years I have had a reoccurring lump appear behind my right ear. It is not at the bottom of my ear, but up at the top on the bone. It swells up and itches and is sometimes tender. It only last for a day or two and I cannot figure out what it is or what is causing it. Most of the other posts that I have read refer to the lymph node, but I gather that the lymph node is located behind the bottom of the ear around the lobe and this is not the case with me. Any ideas?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:59 am

User avatar Hi tkokerr,
Areas of enlargement in this particular location may be related to infectious or inflammatory processes of the mastoid bone, often related to the spread of middle ear infections. Have you suffered from ear infections during or prior to these episodes of enlargement? I would suggest an evaluation by your physician the next time this occurs to identify the causative factor.

|