News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Swollen lips with tiny blisters

suzettej - Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:55 am

I am a 25yr old female. Yesterday morning I woke up & my lips had swollen up and on the outline of my lips were tiny little blisters. It was itchy the whole day. I went to the company Nurse who gave me a quaterzone (spelling?) cream, which relieved the itching as well as some Alergex tablets.

I took the Alergex before I went to bed & it seemed to help for the night.

Today my lips are still swollen again but the tiny blisters are weeping & my lips are burning. The quaterzone isn't releiveing it any longer.

I don't have any allergies that I know of and I'm on Ginette. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary or do anything I don't usually do. Sonething I read said it might be from stress or a vitamin deficiency. Please advise me what it could be & most of all what I can use to relieve the sypmtoms at least.

Thanks!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:07 am

User avatar Hello,

This sounds like hepres simplex lesions.

Herpetic lesions are fluid-filled blisters on red swollen areas of the skin or on the mucous membranes. These lesions are itchy, tender and painful and the condition may be recurrent.
It is caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV-1).

Direct physical contact like kissing can transmit the infection which remain dormant (not active) till the body immune system is a weaken for example after a cold attack or periods of stress.

Direct clinical examination is essential and dermatological consultation is important.

Specific treatment with antiviral cream are available, although the condition tends to subside within days spontaneously.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here