Question: erythema multiforme

jill - Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:18 pm

Please forgive me if the spelling is incorrect. My 6 year old daughter was diagnosed with this rash a few days ago. It started on her inner thighs, and spread outward and downward and changed appearance many times. Her doctor has no idea how she might have got it. She has a tonsilectomy and andenoidectomy recently but went off the painkillers and atnibiotics about 2 weeks before getting this. She has no known allergies. Is there anything I should be watching for? Her only new relatively steady complaint is a headache. Also, would the erythema multiformae likely be related to the small bright red itchy spots by and on her nipple (only on one side)? Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:16 pm

The spelling is correct. Erythema multiforme may be caused by drugs administered (such as sulfonamides, penicillin) or may follow an infection, especially herpes simplex or mycoplasma. In more than 50% of cases, the cause remains unknown.

You have asked an important question: "Is there anything I should be watching for? Her only new relatively steady complaint is a headache."

Without physically examining your child or the skin rash, it is difficult to give an opinion but I would ask you to watch out for any other associated signs that may develop, such as vomiting, fever, stiff neck, aversion to light, drowsiness, joint pain and fits. It does not appear, from your post, that any of these telltale signs exist, but it is important to be on the lookout and to report to your doctor immediately should some or all of these appear. These symptoms may not all appear at the same time.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 jill - Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:12 am

thank you.

|