Question: What's on my hip?

abcdefg - Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:20 pm

For the past few months (since November or so) I have had something strange on my hip. It started off looking like a large pimple--swollen and oozing yellowish pus. Being the picker that I am, I squeezed it. The pus travelled under the skin and made another lump with another exit hole. So, of course I squeezed that one and it made a third. The waistband of my clothes rubbed against it a lot, which was quite irritating.

Now the skin is no longer red or oozing (finally!), but I still feel that there's something hard under the skin of the first lump. Also, the exits of the lumps have created fairly large pocket-like holes that are dark inside. Now when I squeeze them, a small amount of solid, foul-smelling stuff comes out.

Any idea what I am dealing with here? Is it a carbuncle? And how do I get rid of it for once and for all?

Also, I have these strange white-blond hairs on my hips and left breast that don't seem rooted in my skin. They are easily plucked with no pulling feeling or pain whatsoever. Is that normal? And could those be contributing to what's causing this pus-thing on my hip?

Thanks in advance.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:49 am

Abscess is the body responds to bacteria or to a foreign body as white blood cells migrate to the affected area, attack and destroy them forming pus.

Furuncle or carbuncle is an abscess which have one or more openings onto the skin.

Recurrent, chronic abscess are formed due to inadequate treatment of acute infection. Any defect in the immune system due to periods of stress or underlying diseases like DM may render persons more likely to develop abscess.

An abscess may form on top of any other swelling or mass.

Adequate drainage and antibiotics are essential for proper treatment.

Direct clinical examination and surgical consultation are essential .

|