News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Preventing or Curing Skin Tags (if that's what they are)

skin - Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:04 pm

I get recurring formations on my gluteus maximus in the location shown here http://tinyurl.com/zsajl.

My dermatologist calls them skin tags, though they don't look like the illustrations of skin tags I have seen. They start as bumps and over time stretch out. When they get longer, sitting on them and moving around makes them very sensitive and it becomes painful to sit. At this point I go to my dermatologist who cuts them off with scissors. It is quite painful. Is there something I can do to prevent the formation of these "skin tags" or a way to remove them that's less painful?
 skin - Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:11 pm

After searching further in Google images I have found pictures of skin tags that look like my growths. So, apparently they really are skin tags, but all the questions still apply.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:10 pm

User avatar Hi skin,
Skin tags (benign) are typically treated by freezing or excision. They are caused by overgrowth (hyperplasia) of the epidermis (outer layer of skin). To my knowledge there is no prevention to stop the occurrence and removal by the above options is the standard treatment.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 skin - Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:40 pm

Thank you

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here