Question: Accutane hair loss question

lazerking - Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:12 pm

Hi
I was on Accutane and I was diagnosed with hairloss related to that medication. I was thinking of taking a multi-vitamin that promotes hair growth. However, most of these types of products seem to have vitamin A from beta-carotene. I've been hearing that my hair loss could be due to a vitamin A overdose from the medication. I also know that beta-carotene only converts to vitamin A as needed. Does anyone know if it's ok for me to take a pill with beta-carotene or should I avoid it.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:31 pm

Accutane is indicated for the treatment of some severe forms of acne.

Accutane is known chemically as isotretinoin. This is 13-cis-retinoic acid and is related to both retinoic acid and retinol (vitamin A).

Vitamin A should be avoided during the course of Accutane therapy to avoid added toxicity. In your case since you have finished the course this danger is perhaps not present but I doubt that you will benefit from the supplements.

I would advise you to discuss the various options for treating hair loss with a dermatologist.

lazerking - Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:33 am

Hello Doctor
Thank you for your advice, I will be going to a doctor soon about my situation, but in your opinion, Does this type of hair loss usually correct itself over time and if so what time frame would I be looking at?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:14 am

I am gald that you are seeking help. As far as I know it can be persistent in some cases. I think your dermatologist would be a better judge of this. Please keep me updated and let me know your doctor's opinion.

|