Question: wierd sores on my lips

jemmama - Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:59 pm

I am a 29 year old female. I have had a cold sore before and this is different but similar. It begins like I have really chapped lips. Then the line around my lips gets read. The next day I have blisters no bigger than a pin head. And they are crusty immediately. You can't really see them unless you look closely. My lips just look chapped. However it is really uncomfortable. My lips a re swollen and they hurt. It covers the entire outline of my upper and lower lip. In addition the roof of my mouth get's "wrinkly" and tender. This has happened a few times and is gone in 4 to 5 days. What is this? Is it just a wierd form of cold sore? Should I go to the doc and get soemthing for it? Is there anything over the counter you would recommend? Right now I just keep it coated with bistex or carmex and it does hlep a little.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:30 pm

Your symptoms are likely to be due to a severe Herpes simplex infection. This could occur during periods of immunocompromise like, severe physical, mental stress, other infections, in diabetics and individuals on steroids or immunosuppressive drugs.

Typically, herpes is presents in the form of blisters on a red base. These blisters dry up rapidly and leave scabs that disappear in a few days to a few weeks, depending on the severity of the infection.

Herpes rarely develops lesion inside the mouth unless very severe attack, to the contrary of Aphthae, or cankers, that typically appear inside the mouth.

Canker sores are small and quite painful on the inner cheeks and lower lip,tongue, palate, and the covering of the gums. It is caused also by a virus.

I advise you to contact your Doctor (dermatologist) for proper diagnosis and management.

|