News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: wierd sores on my lips

jemmama - Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:59 pm

I am a 29 year old female. I have had a cold sore before and this is different but similar. It begins like I have really chapped lips. Then the line around my lips gets read. The next day I have blisters no bigger than a pin head. And they are crusty immediately. You can't really see them unless you look closely. My lips just look chapped. However it is really uncomfortable. My lips a re swollen and they hurt. It covers the entire outline of my upper and lower lip. In addition the roof of my mouth get's "wrinkly" and tender. This has happened a few times and is gone in 4 to 5 days. What is this? Is it just a wierd form of cold sore? Should I go to the doc and get soemthing for it? Is there anything over the counter you would recommend? Right now I just keep it coated with bistex or carmex and it does hlep a little.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:30 pm

User avatar Hello,

Your symptoms are likely to be due to a severe Herpes simplex infection. This could occur during periods of immunocompromise like, severe physical, mental stress, other infections, in diabetics and individuals on steroids or immunosuppressive drugs.

Typically, herpes is presents in the form of blisters on a red base. These blisters dry up rapidly and leave scabs that disappear in a few days to a few weeks, depending on the severity of the infection.

Herpes rarely develops lesion inside the mouth unless very severe attack, to the contrary of Aphthae, or cankers, that typically appear inside the mouth.

Canker sores are small and quite painful on the inner cheeks and lower lip,tongue, palate, and the covering of the gums. It is caused also by a virus.

I advise you to contact your Doctor (dermatologist) for proper diagnosis and management.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here