News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Unknown infection, Army doctors don't know what it is

ArmyGrl21 - Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:15 am

I am a 21 year old female. Army doctors have told me the infection on my neck is fungal but did not deign to tell me what kind or have tests taken to find out what exactly it was. I have had this for several months now have been given several creams to use. They work at first but the infection comes back each time after it seems to go away or has disappeared for the most part. I am posting a picture and am hoping someone can tell me what it is from it.

Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:51 pm

User avatar Hello,

This is very similar to tinea corporis. It is an infection of the skin by a fungus. A number of species of fungi cause ringworm. Dermatophytes of the genera Trichophyton and Microsporum are the most common causative agents.

The lesions are large, red, ring shaped or circular rash on the skin and commonly itches. This type of infection is common especially in children and is contagious.

Warm, humid environment and heavy sweating are favorite condition for the fungi to live. Thus, athletes are at higher risk of ringworm.

Topical anti fungal treatment are usually adequate for treatment. In resistant cases oral anti fungal therapy may be indicated.

Try to keep cool and dry. Avoid excessive sweating and if happened try to clean your self and dry well. Avoid steroid cream and any contact with possible irritant.

Diagnosis is made by direct examination in most of the cases. A Skin scrap for microscopic examination or culture are helpful in diagnosis.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor.
Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 ArmyGrl21 - Thu May 10, 2007 9:43 pm

Well, the rash went away, whatever it was. All three of the medicines I got from the doctors didn't work and I stopped using them. My husband followed your advice and went to the grocery store to get Lotrimin. We were surprised it actually worked. The rash went away in less than two weeks. I was the happiest person on earth and was able to get married without a huge rash on my neck! Thanks so much for your good advice.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri May 11, 2007 12:49 pm

User avatar Hello,

Thank you very much for the update. Its reassuring to know that I have been able to help.

Best wishes to you and your family.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here