News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: neck rash/swellen area

isabella27 - Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:03 pm

I am a 41 y/o female. Good health, only one c section 15 yrs ago. Family Hx of hypertension, ovarian cancer and lung cancer(smoker). I started having a look a like rash and some bumps, like blisters in the trapece and chest area. My chest look like flushed, reddish and I thought it was an allergy. I apllied Calamine and the blisters will dried and then few days later will come back. I developed a pouch next to my neck supraclavicular. Went to dr. He sent me for a Ct of the neck and chest no contrast. Cy came back Normal. No lymph node, no mass, no fluid. Pumorary view was normal. No malignecies found. The doctor told me I have a fatty deposit, and if I loose weight and fat from my body the pouch will go way. I have seen people overweight and they don't have a pouch like this one. Something is not right. However, I have that pouch like a hump. I checked for Madelung disease but I don't drink and I am not diabetic. I weight 150 lbs and I am 5'7"
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:09 pm

User avatar Your rash sounds a little like shingles, especially given the blister-like appearance. Generally shingles is quite painful, however. Other possibilities include a bacterial skin infection or viral rash.

Your "pouch" has me a little puzzled. If the CT scan saw nothing it may be a fat collection. However, I would think this should show up on CT scan. One thought is a disorder called Cushing's syndrome (hypercortisolism). This can cause a "buffalo hump" appearance. Generally the hump is located on the back just below the neck, not along the supraclavicular area. Perhaps you have a lipoma, a small fat cell tumor that is not cancerous and is not related to weight. If this is the diagnosis, they are harmless but can become painful or unsightly and can be removed surgically.

Follow up with your doctor is important.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here