Question: Hemangioma - benign tumor

mrsgypc - Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:13 pm

I am a 37 yr old female, and recently had an odd mole removed from my upper left thigh. it was clear and just had a minor bump to it. About 2 months ago, it turned red and was surrounded by what looked like a bruise. It lasted about 5 days. It then went back to being clear. then about 3 weeks ago, the same mole did the same thing. I had it removed and biopsied. The Dermatologist called it a benign blood vessel tumor. the Nurse called it a Hemangioma. I see hemangiomas are generally on infants. This was New, though the clear mole about 6 years old.

I am on Effexor XR, have had moles removed before, but all were "nothing".

Are the dermatologist and nurse correct? Should I expect more of them?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:53 pm

Capillary hemangiomas that occur in adults and on the lower extremities are uncommon but they are reported.

It is a benign tumor of the blood vessels. So whether they said you hemangioma or blood vessel benign tumor they both are correct and you have been managed properly.

It is better if you still want to be sure of the final diagnosis to get the report of the pathological examination.

Keep us updated.
Best regard.

|