Question: Discomfort after trimming pubic hair

dnflgmn - Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:52 am

Ok this is really embarassing but I'm in so much pain/discomfort that I don't really care: I am in considerable discomfort from trimming my pubic hair and I am desperate to know if there is anything I can do to feel better. I am an 18 year old female and I had been reading a lot of stuff online that said men liked women to be waxed or shaved or at the very least "trimmed" in their pubic region. I have had a bikini wax (sides only) before and was in considerable discomfort for days (so I wasn't going to do that again- so I thought trimming is harmless right?). Now, after trimming my pubic hair (last night) I am in so much pain/discomfort I don't know what to do. I know most people do this stuff normally and its all fine for them but I don't know maybe I'm just really sensitive. The hairs are like digging into me (they are so sharp they are poking *through* the fabric of my underwear) and now it's like a constant burning mixed with pain each time I move and hairs poke into me. Is there anything I can do? Should I shave? or would the hairs cause the same problem when they grow back, and is that risky considering I obviously have very sensitive skin there? Is there an angle I can recut the hairs on so they are not so sharp? is there any kind of ointment I can put on to reduce the friction/irritation or even to just numb it? Will my skin toughen up soon or the ends of the hairs smooth over and the pain go away? I am normally a very active person and now I can barely stand to have my legs together (rather than wide apart) much less running exercising, etc. Please help! Sorry I know this is kind of a messed up question but I'm in a lot of pain.
 yourstruly452 - Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm

hey! the ultimate woman problem it sounds like--but easy to deal with! first and foremost, whatever you do (trimming or ESPECIALLY shaving), make sure to go in the direction that the hair is growing...otherwise, it hurts and the bumps are worse than ever (trust me!). also, after you are finished, use a lotion with a little salicyclic acid in it--the lotion will calm your skin down and the salicyclic acid takes the redness out of the bumps to help them go away (bikini zone has an after-shaving cream with all this in it--just make sure to follow the directions as to where and how often you can apply). just as a precaution though, be very careful when trimming or shaving in that area--if you get a nick or cut, you could open yourself up to infection, and that's no fun (it's a dark, warm area, so bacteria will love it). hope that helps!

kate
CNA/BSN student

|