News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Skin Disease or Diabetis?

mercury - Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:09 am

im 28 yrs old male, im not sure about my problems. there always a time when my male organ is so itchy. when im washing it i always scratch it then afterwards it has so many wounds. Am i diabetics? or just a plain skin disease, i always apply an antifungal cream and anti bacterial cream everytime there is a wound after scratching. Or just the food i ate? my grandparents have history of diabetis.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:44 pm

User avatar Symptoms of Type 1 (insulin dependent) diabetes mellitus (DM)are excessive thirst, excessive hunger, and excessive urination that can ultimately lead to jitteriness and ultimately diabetic coma.

Symptoms of Type 2 (insulin resistant) DM are ultimately similar to those of type 1 DM. Prior to this, type 2 DM can also produce darkening of the skin behind the neck and on the nuckles as well as other places (known as acanthosis nigricans). Obesity is associated with type 2 DM.

Poor skin healing can go along with both types of DM as time goes along, although this is typically not a very early symptom.

Your symptoms sound more like a possible skin irritation, such as a contact dermatitis, eczema, or possibly a fungal skin infection (jock itch). The fungal creams are good treatments but must be continued for many weeks to produce good results. Failure to fully treat the infection leads to the infection and symptoms returning.

Fungal infections can be checked for by having your doctor take a small skin scraping and looking for fungal elements.

I recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor to make an accurate diagnosis. If there are any concerns about diabetes, simple blood and urine tests can easily check for these conditions.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the delay in answering.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here