News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Red itchy patches

TrinityRain - Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:34 pm

I'm a 22 yr old female and I have had a red itchy patch on my abdomen for about a week. It is now spreading into other little patches. It is extremely itchy but it does not hurt. I have tried cortizone cream but nothing seems to be helping. I have been taking paxil for a year and have had no reaction to it. [size=18][/size] I have had scarlatina twice but only when I had strep throat.I have no other symptoms right now. Can you tell me what this could be and how I can treat it?
thank you, I appreciate it!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:07 pm

User avatar Hello,

These lesions could be:
-HIVES, is a skin reaction to an allergen, medicine or infection. They may also occur in very nervous people. Th lesions are in the form of red bumps that may be present anywhere on the face or body. Itching is often.
Antihistamines are needed for treatment.

-Lesions due to allergic dermatitis are usually in the form of red, itchy rash and blisters. Avoiding the allergen is the mainstay of treatment in addition to analgesics.

- Herpetic eruptions (less likely) are extremely painful red blisters that usually crust off.

Direct clinical examination is essential.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here