Question: Blotches on child's face/back

momoffive - Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 pm

My son will be seven next month. I noticed a few spots on his face (cheeks, chin area) and on his back. They are pinkish red in color with a white scab look on each. He's had it for over a week and a half now and I've shown it to his pediatric allergist, who said it's either a viral rash (not contagious) or pinworm. I let it go for over a week and then I noticed that his back was worse. I showed it to a friend, who is a cosmetic surgeon. He said it looks like either a fungal rash or a viral rash. It does not bother or itch my son at all. As a baby, he had eczema. As an fyi - we were in Florida a few weeks ago (we live in the snowy, cold Midwest) and he was in the sun and swimming in the beach.
What can I do for him? He's not in any discomfort but it has definitely worsened over the past 10 days.
Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:16 pm

User avatar From your description I would say that there are a few possibilities. First, if it has been present for over a week it is less likely to be a viral rash.

Here's a few other possibilities:
1) Pityriasis Rosea
2) Tinea versicolor
3) Pityriasis alba (usually more pale skin colored and can show up more prominently after sun exposure.

You can google these to see pictures. Also, if you are able to post a picture or two here I may have some more ideas.

Each of these has a specific treatment, so I would suggest you see your pediatrician to help in diagnosis/treatment. Pediatricians are generally pretty good at rashes but if we can't figure it out we can refer to a dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

|