News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: pimple/cyst..very scared

kandy - Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:48 pm

1) I am a 25 yr old female. Last year, a lump on the right side of my neck (under my ear lobe, where my jaw connects) was diagnosed by a doctor and a dermatologist as a sebaceous cyst, and they both said it's nothing to worry about. It was a cyst that i could move from left to right between my index and middle finger, about 1cm long. A few mths later, while swimming, my husband accidentally hit the cyst. For a week, it was inflamed. I called my dermatologist fearing it was infected, and he said it'll be fine, and that it's not an infection, just an inflammation.. A few days later, I noticed the cyst shrunk to half its original size. I was extatic because it made me less self conscious about it or about having "an illness"..

Should I take the doctors' word for it and accept that it's nothing to worry about? Nobody in my family has that. I keep thinking it's more serious than that.. What's your opinion on having it surgically removed? Will i get scars? Can it still be cancer?

2) Last week, I developped 2 pimples. One on the left earlobe and one on my neck a few inches down. I popped the one on my earlobe because it was easy, and now it's fine. But the one on my neck seems to be a pimple INSIDE my skin..Like I can't pull on my skin there, i have to pull the pimple with it.. When it first appeared, it was sore and felt like a pimple, but now it doesn't hurt, but it's still there!.. It's smaller than a pea, and it's inside my neck's skin (attached to it). The pharmacist said it'll go away and not to worry, it reassured me, but i'm not believing it. I've been washing it with DIAL antibacterial soap alot, and using clearasil pad to wipe it at night..

What is this? Will it go away? I don't have access to a doctor so maybe the stress relating to that is what's causing these problems?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, Thanks
 kandy - Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:35 pm

I forgot to mention this, but my cyst behind my ear is no longer moveable like it used to be...Is that a concern too?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here