Question: eyelash root problem

cybrwolf - Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:52 pm

I am 39, and have had a history of styes ~ not often, and usually only when really stressed.

Recently I have noticed that I have a few eyelashes growing on my upper eyelid, a little further inward toward the eye than regular lashline. They look normal, other than a bit darker than my regular lashes, but they hurt like an ingrown hair. They do not look ingrown in any way. I have plucked them a few times, and when you look at the root of the lash it looks different than regular roots, my regular roots having a light end, these hurtful ones being black all the way to the end with a sort of ball at the end, and it's like it is jointed at the ball. When they grow back it is the same situation.

I don't know if these are related to my tendency to get styes now and again, and wonder what they are.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:06 pm

User avatar It sounds as if these are normal eye lash hairs that are growing closer to the edge of your eye. They are likely not related to your sties

The difference in color is likely due to differences in pigmentation in that area of skin for the hair follicles.

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about how to prevent them from growing.

Best wishes. I hope this helps.

|