Question: SORE SCALP

MONICA74 - Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:13 pm

I am 32 year old female. My scalp on the front to the upper back of my scalp becomes very sore and sensitive. The tenderness feels like I have had my hair in a tight ponytail (which I haven't). I had my fiance take a look at my scalp for any scaring, redness, moles etc. but everything is normal. It hurts to just move my hair. I have to be extra careful when brushing my hair because of how sensitive it is. This has been going on for a year now and thought nothing of it. Now the soreness has become more frequent and at times very painful. I was in a car accident about five years ago and black out and rushed to two ERs due to possible head trauma. I don't know if this may have to do with any nerve damaging. My hair is growing out lighter now with more silvers so I'm worried about hair loss because my mother hair has thinned out. But my main concern is the irritating soarness that leaves me in discomfort even at work. Can you help? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:35 pm

User avatar There are a few possible causes. With your history of a car accident, it is possible that you have some pinched nerves that supply that area of the head.

Also, there is basically one muscle that underlies the entire area you are describing. If, for some reason, it was inflamed it could cause that type of pain. Chronic tension often leads to keeping this muscle tightened. More commmonly this causes a tension headache but could cause scalp pain.

Infection of the scalp with a fungal infection or other type of scalp infection is possible as well.

I recommend that you see your doctor for a physical examination to help determine the cause of your pain.

MONICA74 - Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:45 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I will consult my family doctor.

|