Question: Sores All Over

MomOf4 - Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:16 pm

I am a 34 yr old female and I have sores on my back and close to my shouders(wings) on my back and my buttocks,chest and both upper arms(also I have tiny spot or bumps on my scalp)......
.first they are like just a little tiny bump and red and some are like bumps with clear fluid in them and when the they break open them everything goes nuts on my back and everywhere.....my skin is very dry and my big sores don't heal and yes I do tend to pick at them but not like obsessively and this problem has been going on since about 2004..
.I have been to 2 dermatologists and they just don't know what to do with me. I itch...but not all the time...my scabs dry up and sometimes when I take a shower they wipe off and then I am back to thses pink holes or circles from where my scabs were.......
One thing that is always noticable is that right behind my neck and almost between my shoulder blades I always have this gigantic or big sore and it wont bleed it will drain out...like water is coming out of sore...I am so feed up with people telling me that I need to stop picking....I get sores from nowhere or I had them for months and months and never want to heal and when they do they leave this dark piment skin color and people think they are bruises or that i cut myself......My dr did a scrape and staph grew on it....so he gave me an antibiotic and thats it...didnt do anything!!!!!!!!!!!
CAN ANYONE TELL ME EVERYTHING YOU KNOW? ANYTHING TO HELP OR GUESS OR OFFER SUGGESTIONS?????? I REALLY NEED HELP.....I AM TO THE POINT THAT I AM FEED UP WITH MY SKIN AND I JUST WANNA GO TO THE ER AND TELL THEM I CANT STAND IT ANYMORE AND TO PLEASE HELP! THANKS FROM AMY
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:54 am

User avatar While reading your description, my first thought was that you may have a folliculitis or other skin infection type of process. Particularly one caused by staphylococcus aureus. Finding that the culture grew staph is even more suspicious.

Do you know what antibiotic you were treated with? There is a growing resistance to antibiotics in staph. It is possible that the antibiotic used was not effective. I would recommend a repeat culture. If the culture is positive, the lab can run sensitivity testing to determine which antibiotics can be used. In particular, MRSA is becoming much more common. MRSA is staph that has become resistant to methicillin. If you were treated with the previous first line antibiotic and actually had MRSA, the antibiotic would do nothing.

You may want to consult with an infectious disease specialist as well if the dermatologists are unable to diagnose you.

Hope this helps.

|