Question: Small pin size bumps groin area

Painfor6months! - Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:55 am

I have small pin size bumps in my groin area very small red with a tiny white spot in middle possible, I have been tested for all stds including a herpes select test for hsv1 and 2 at the 2 and 7 month point from any sexual contact and it was all negative dermatologist suggests folliculitus but it hasnt gone aweay with a basic antibiotic cream using it for 2 weeks and was there 2 weeks before that, hes thinking to test for molluscum next any ideas on what this might be? The bumps are painless itchless not on actual sexual organs jsut thigh and stomach pelvis there is about 5 total scared me more cause i have an ongoing pain in my left testicle groin and abdomin not sure if there linked. For that I ahve had a ct scan teticular ultrasound and consulted a surgeon may have slight hernia but doc says it should not cause so much discomfort its more like pressure or fullness actually not pain so much
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:05 am

User avatar From your description I would be very suspicious of molluscum contagiosum. This is a virus that causes skin bumps that have a central dimple classically. Generally visual diagnosis is all that is needed; however, a microscopic examination of the core of the bump can reveal characteristic findings to confirm the diagnosis if needed.

Treatment is destruction of the lesions. This is generally done with liquid nitrogen, topical irritants or by curretage (scraping) of the lesions.

While not a typically thought of STD, molluscum is transmitted via skin to skin contact and is commonly transmitted during sexual intercourse.

Best wishes. I hope this helps some.
 Painfor6months! - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:26 am

just an added note the pain in my left side ad all that is not related at all then? and is molluscum curable or do u have it forever? thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:33 am

User avatar Molluscum is curable in that when you have the lesions destroyed they are gone. This does not prevent reinfection with more bumps. New bumps will need to be treated. Generally, once the bump is treated it does not spontaneously return without exposure to the virus again.

Of note, it is possible for an infected person to spread the virus to other areas of the skin essentially self-infecting the skin in these new areas.

Generally molluscum is painless. As such, I suspect your pain is not related to this. I would recommend you continue to follow up with your doctor to determine the cause of your pain.

|