Question: Old Old Scars..What do I do?

nysa20 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm a 20 year old female and I have scars on my legs since I was about 9 or 10 some even younger. Most of the scars on my legs are from falling but some are from chixken pox that I scratched and they left marks. I haven't had surgery for it but lately I beenseriously thinking about it. Is laser surgery safe? and will it work even though the scars are so old? I would rather just take medication for it, something maybe that I can put on them at night. I tried bleaching creme and that didnt work. And i also tried a medicated bleaching cream called epiquin micro or hydroquinone usp 4%. I was using it for a while a few years ago but it didnt work. I never seen a change. is there a cream out there that can help me? or a pill? or is surgery my best bet? and if surgery is which one should i go for?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:22 pm

User avatar Scars can be difficult to treat. Laser treatments can reduce pigmentation in scars making them less easily seen.

Surgery can be done for larger scars but keep in mind that the surgery generally also leaves a scar. The goal and usual outcome is that the new scar is smaller and harder to see than the first.

There are several creams that claim to improve scars. While they may help some often it isn't very much. The one thing about creams is that they tend to be cheaper than other forms of treatment so it may be worth a shot to see if they will work for you.

A dermatologist is likely to be your best resource regarding your treatment options.

|