News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Old Old Scars..What do I do?

nysa20 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:37 pm

I'm a 20 year old female and I have scars on my legs since I was about 9 or 10 some even younger. Most of the scars on my legs are from falling but some are from chixken pox that I scratched and they left marks. I haven't had surgery for it but lately I beenseriously thinking about it. Is laser surgery safe? and will it work even though the scars are so old? I would rather just take medication for it, something maybe that I can put on them at night. I tried bleaching creme and that didnt work. And i also tried a medicated bleaching cream called epiquin micro or hydroquinone usp 4%. I was using it for a while a few years ago but it didnt work. I never seen a change. is there a cream out there that can help me? or a pill? or is surgery my best bet? and if surgery is which one should i go for?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:22 pm

User avatar Scars can be difficult to treat. Laser treatments can reduce pigmentation in scars making them less easily seen.

Surgery can be done for larger scars but keep in mind that the surgery generally also leaves a scar. The goal and usual outcome is that the new scar is smaller and harder to see than the first.

There are several creams that claim to improve scars. While they may help some often it isn't very much. The one thing about creams is that they tend to be cheaper than other forms of treatment so it may be worth a shot to see if they will work for you.

A dermatologist is likely to be your best resource regarding your treatment options.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here