Question: Lumps/Bumps

lou bergs - Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:27 pm

I am a 20 year old male. In the past year, i have noticed several lumps in/on various locations of my body. There is all small, pea sized bump near the bottom part of the left side of my ribcage. It is kind of hard, It only hurts when I lay on my stomach and it presses against my ribcage. It is not visible. I also have another bump on the lower left side of my back. It has a more rubbery texture to it. I tired to asperate it, and it seems to have gotten smaller. It does not hurt. My father has about 30 of these bumps all over his body, of varying sizes. Some are hard and some are not. He told me that these "cysts" run in the family. Several other members of my family also have bumps like these. Are these bumps of mine hereditary limpomas, or something else? Should i be worried? I currently have no health insurance so I don't know what to do. Please get back to me as soon as possible. These things really stress me out.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:33 pm

User avatar There are a few possiblilities for your lumps. It is very possible that these are lipomas. It may also be that they are neuromas which are associated with a condition called neurofibromatosis.

It is probably a good idea to have them checked out to be sure. By odds, lipomas are most likely. If they are bothering you the lipomas can be removed.

|